You are here >  About Beijing > Scenic Spots
Register   |  Login

The Lamasery

\Yonghegong is a famous lamasery located in the northeastern part of the old city of Beijing. It was a palatial residence built in 1694 by Qing Emperor Kangxi for his fourth son, Prince Yongzheng who later succeeded to the throne. This magnificent temple consists of five main buildings lying on the north-south axis, with annex halls standing on both sides.

\The temple is listed by the Chinese Government as one of the important historical monuments under special preservation. After the death of his father, Emperor Yongzheng moved to the Forbidden City- The compound was closed to ordinary people and was renamed Yonghegong(the Palace of Harmony).Green roof tiles were replaced by yellow ones to suit a monarch's home. In l744 his successor Emperor Qianlong converted the palace into a lamasery. Several renovations have been carried out since liberation. The temple has taken on a new look and was reopened to the public in 1981. It is now not only a functional lama temple, but also a tourist attraction.

Statement | About us | Job Opportunities |

Copyright 1999---2024 by Mebo TCM Training Center

Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2